Signs of Flat Roof Damage You Can’t Ignore
As a business owner, you never want to see something go wrong with your building. However, you know when something does go amiss, the last thing you want to do is to ignore it. So, if your roof starts leaking — or if you see one of these other signs of flat roof damage — you can’t afford to delay fixing it!
While skilled commercial roofing work isn’t cheap, it’s nowhere near as expensive as ignoring a damaged roof. At Pequea Valley Exteriors, we’re the Amish commercial roofing contractors that do it all. Read our blog to learn the main signs of flat roof damage — and to learn how to find them yourself!
How to Tell if a Flat Roof Needs to be Replaced
You don’t need to be a roofing expert to know that your roof has seen better days. However, if you’d rather trust an expert, Pequea Valley Exteriors ALWAYS offers free roof inspections for new clients.
The two main areas to look at to see if your flat roof needs to be replaced are on the inside of the building and on the roof itself. We’ll break down how to tell if a roof needs to be replaced:
Signs of Flat Roof Damage inside Your Building:
If you can see these signs of flat roof damage inside your building, then the leak may be quite extensive. Look for these 4 tell-tale warnings:
- Water Spots — Discolored spots on the ceiling don’t happen by accident — they are a clear indicator of water damage. If you see this sign, start looking for more serious problems.
- Bubbling Interior Walls — Along the lines of ceiling water spots, bubbling interior walls indicate a serious water leak, which often originates on the roof.
- Mold Growth — Mold requires water to grow, so if you see mold, look for water. A roof leak is the most common cause of mold growth in attics.
- Dripping Water — The most obvious sign. If water is actively dripping from the ceiling, your roof is leaking and you need help ASAP!
Signs of Damage on the Roof:
While not every business owner feels safe getting up on their roof, if you do, you can learn quite a bit about its condition. If you recognize any of these issues, you may want to bring us out for a professional roof inspection:
- Rips in the Membrane — If you have an EPDM roof, one of the signs of damage you’re hunting for is a rip in the black membrane itself. We have the ability to repair or seal small areas of damage, but a more extensive rip will require a larger solution.
- Ponding Water — Looking for pools of water is one of the ways to tell if a flat roof needs to be replaced. You’ll want to climb up on your roof a few hours after a rainstorm. If you see multiple puddles, that’s a sign that your roof’s drainage systems have failed. If large amounts of water are left on the roof surface, eventually they will permeate through the membrane, causing leaks.
- Cracks in TPO Coating — TPO roofing is one of the most common materials on the market today. The main issue that limits the lifespan on these energy-saving roofs is cracking. On the roof surface, you can keep an eye out for cracks in the white roof surface.
- Loose Flashings — Flashings are used to protect the vulnerable seams on flat roofs, and they generally do an effective job. However, if you notice the flashings have become dislodged, that means your roof is susceptible to leakage around the seams. Fixing and reinforcing any damaged flashing can protect your seams and prevent leaks.
A Wide Variety of Roofing Solutions
At Pequea Valley Exteriors, we are a full-service commercial roofer that can handle any job on any roof — from simple repairs to large scale roof restoration or replacement. As a certified Conklin Roofing Contractor, we are able to provide the cutting-edge roof restoration services that are becoming a mainstay of our industry.
From single day repairs to full restoration jobs, our crews have experience working on the following types of flat roofs:
- Tar and Gravel
- Modified Bitumen
- And more!
Diagnose Signs of Flat Roof Damage with a FREE Inspection
You now have some basic information on how to tell if a roof needs to be replaced. However, your best bet is to always trust the experts. Fixing a damaged roof BEFORE it becomes a true emergency can potentially save you tens-of-thousands of dollars!
At Pequea Valley Exteriors, we offer new potential customers a FREE expert roof inspection to find signs of flat roof damage — and we always offer the right solution. Start the conversation today to schedule your roof inspection!